This guide is focused on lifting a case publicly in traditional and social media and placing pressure on immigration services with the help of congregations, the community, and elected officials.
Sealing the Border documents violations of the rights and dignity of migrants and asylum-seekers by immigration enforcement agencies and officials in the El Paso and Southern New Mexico region of the borderlands.
What are the risks of providing sanctuary to people who are undocumented immigrants? The American Civil Liberties Union provides some answers to common questions on this topic. Please note, this information is intended to provide only a general overview and does not replace the council of a an attorney.
The Sanctuary Movement is a growing movement of immigrant and faith communities who are standing with groups made vulnerable by the current political climate, including immigrants at risk of deportation.
The idea of sanctuary often centers on civil immigration enforcement, but it can and should be much broader. Many communities pass “welcoming city” or similar policies with statements about how their local agencies will treat all people with respect, regardless of national origin, race, religious affiliation, gender identity, or difference in ability.
Each of us wants to be part of a welcoming community, but we often find ourselves at a loss as to where to start. We know the Lord calls on us, but how? What if I don’t have the space or the means to provide shelter? What if there are no immigrants in my community? What if those around me are reluctant to learn about immigration? This tool is intended to help a community reflect on how they can best be welcoming and hospitable.
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- Campaña por la Hospitalidad — Español
- Come to the Table Potlucks
- Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Français – Campagne pour l’hospitalité
- Hacer el compromiso: Quédate con los que buscan asilo
- Immigration Detention Center Pilgrimages
- Join The Campaign
- Light in the Darkness: Uniting in Prayer for Immigrant Families
- Light in the Darkness: Vigil for Immigrant Families
- Love Your Neighbor
- Send a Love Your Neighbor Note
- Share the love – Spread the word!
- Take Action
- Take the Pledge: Stand With Those Seeking Asylum
- Thank you for taking the pledge