Each of us wants to be part of a welcoming community, but we often find ourselves at a loss as to where to start. We know the Lord calls on us, but how? What if I don’t have the space or the means to provide shelter? What if there are no immigrants in my community? What if those around me are reluctant to learn about immigration? This tool is intended to help a community reflect on how they can best be welcoming and hospitable.
Sr. Norma emphasizes the importance of hospitality as a way to remind those who migrate that they are people of God, that they have dignity, and that they matter.
The Catholic Teach-In on Immigration aims to create a “culture of encounter” that leads to greater understanding and empathy on the issue of undocumented immigration by bringing together undocumented immigrants and U.S.-born Catholics in a prayerful, intimate, and safe place.
Sr. Norma Pimentel shared reflections on her work at the U.S.-Mexico border as the executive director of Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley during the 2016 Ignatian Family Teach-In for Justice hosted by Ignatian Solidarity Network in Washington, D.C.
Framed in Catholic Social Teaching and documents of the U.S. bishops, this resource provides a variety of suggestions on how to support and stand with Immigrants, Migrants, Refugees And People On The Move.
El Deportado highlights the work of the Kino Border Initiative on the U.S.-Mexico border in bringing hope to those who migrate as well as those who experience deportation from the U.S.
A video reflection on the work of the Kino Border Initiative created by a student at Brophy College Preparatory, the Jesuit high school in Phoenix, Arizona. The student invites those who watch the video to experience the stories of people migrating who KBI serves and the staff with an open heart — to encounter their humanity.
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- Campaña por la Hospitalidad — Español
- Come to the Table Potlucks
- Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Français – Campagne pour l’hospitalité
- Hacer el compromiso: Quédate con los que buscan asilo
- Immigration Detention Center Pilgrimages
- Join The Campaign
- Light in the Darkness: Uniting in Prayer for Immigrant Families
- Light in the Darkness: Vigil for Immigrant Families
- Love Your Neighbor
- Send a Love Your Neighbor Note
- Share the love – Spread the word!
- Take Action
- Take the Pledge: Stand With Those Seeking Asylum
- Thank you for taking the pledge